Were Hz. Havva (Eve) and Hz. Adam married? Why were they expelled from Paradise?
What caused Hz. Adam and Hawwa to be expelled from Paradise was not sexual intercourse. What caused them to be expelled from Paradise was eating the forbidden fruit.
Hz. Havva was Hz. Adam’s wife. It is stated in verse 35 of the chapter of al-Baqara by the use of the word "zawja (wife)":
“We said: ‘O Adam! Dwell thou and thy wife in the Garden and eat of the bountiful things therein as (where and when) ye will; but approach not this tree, or ye run into harm and transgression.’”
The name of this forbidden fruit is not stated clearly by Allah in the Quran. However, it is stated that it was a tree in Paradise and that it had the property of changing the peace and happiness of Hz. Adam. Therefore, it is not valuable for us to know more than that and it is not possible now. This is the view preferred by researchers and tafsir scholars.
However, there are some narrations stating that it was wheat, fig or grape.
(see Elmalılı Hamdi YAZIR, Hak Dini Kur'an Dili, Eser Neşriyat ve Dağıtım, I/322)
- Do the verses of 36-38 shows that there was someone other than Hz. Adam and Hz. Havva (Eve) when they were expelled from Paradise?
- Adam and Eve (Hawwa)' s children got married. But there were no any other population so whom got married with their children? How did the children of Adam marry each other?
- Why was Hz. Adam sent to Paradise instead of the Earth? Had Hz. Adam not sinned, would he have stayed in Paradise?
- If the Satan had not been created, would we all have been in Paradise?
- Taking into consideration the explanation of the Surah Al-Hijr 39, how could Iblis (the devil) mention the earth and doomsday before Allah expelled them from Paradise and sent them to the earth?