Number of Prophets
The first prophet is Hazrat Adam (pbuh) and the last prophet is Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh). There were many prophets between them. Only some of the names and stories of them are mentioned in the Quran.5
Our Prophet stated in a narration that the number of the prophets that came before him was 124 thousand and in another narration 224 thousand.6
The number of the prophets mentioned in the Quran is 25. It is controversial whether three people are prophets or saints. Although there are so many prophets, only very few of them are known by people. Imam Rabbani explains the reason as follows: There were many prophets in India. However, some of them did not have any ummah. Or, very few people believed them and they did not become well-known. Or, they were not called prophets.7
The explanation of Imam Rabbani above clarifies the reason why many prophets were forgotten.
5 an-Nisa, 164; al-Mu’min, 78
6 See: Taftazani, Sharhu’l-Aqaid, 169. See also: Muhittin Bahçeci, Âyet ve Hadîslerle Peygamberlik ve Peygamberler, 63-64
7 Mektubat, 361
- Will you please give information about the number of Prophets?
- What is the number of prophets?
- How many prophets came to the world?
- Is it a sign that the Quran was copied from the Torah as it mentions the names of the prophets sent in the Middle East?
- Why were different prophets sent to different people and why were there differences among the religions that prophets brought?