What are the signs of the Doomsday (Qiyamah)?
The Collections of Hadith include many hadiths that mention the signs to appear before the Doomsday. Evaluating the signs mentioned in the hadiths in terms of their properties, Islamic scholars classified them under two headings as Lesser Signs and Greater Signs. The primary lesser signs that become manifest in the form of the weakening of religious feelings, thoughts and attitudes, not paying due attention to religious rules, abandoning worshipping, increase in immorality in the period before the Doomsday that is called end of time can be listed as follows:
a) People competing each other to construct higher buildings (Bukhari, Fitan, 25; see Tajrid Sarih Trns; 1/58).
b) People wishing to die (Bukhari, Fitan, 25; Muslim, Fitan, 53-54)
c) A great fire originating in Hejaz illuminating the feet of camels in Busra (a town near Damascus) (Bukhari, Fitan, 24; Muslim, Fitan, 42).
d) The disappearance of the waters of the Euphrates and the uncovering of gold in the riverbed (Muslim, Fitan, 29-31).
e) The disappearance of Islamic sciences and the increase of ignorance (Bukhari, Fitan, 4).
f) The increase in earthquakes (Bukhari, Fitan, 25).
g) The increase in murders and the appearance of fitnahs (sedition, mischief, testing) (Bukhari, Fitan, 4; Muslim, Fitan, 18).
h) The breakout of a war between Jews and Muslims; Muslims killing Jews (Tajrid Sarih Trns, VIII, 341; Muslim, Fitan, 79-82).
l) Committing fornication openly; increase in the consumption of alcohol; increase in the number of women and decrease in the number of men (al-Ali an-Nasif Taj, 5/335).
The greater signs of the Doomsday are mentioned as a whole in the following hadith reported by Hudhayfa al-Ghifari (may Allah be pleased with him): Allah's Messenger (pbuh) came to us all of a sudden as we were (busy in a discussion). He said: What do you discuss about? We said, “We are discussing about the Doomsday.” Thereupon, he said, “It will not come until you see ten signs before” and he made a mention of Dajjal (AntiChrist), the smoke, the beast (daabbat al-ard), the rising of the sun from the west, the descent of Jesus son of Mary (pbuh), Gog (Yajuj) and Magog (Majuj), and land-sliding in three places, one in the east, one in the west and one in Arabia at the end of which a fire would burn forth from Yemen and would drive people to the place of their assembly." (Muslim, Fitan, 39)
The ten greater signs of the Doomsday are explained as follows: by other hadiths and Islamic scholars:
1. The emergence of Dajjal: Dajjal is a liar that will emerge at the end of time; He will want to subvert the religion of Islam and Muslims and lead them to evil and mischief. It is stated in sound hadiths that the right eye of Dajjal is blind, the word ‘kafir’ (unbeliever) is written on his forehead, that he has no children, that he cannot enter Madinah and Makkah, that he will remain for forty days in the world after his emergence, that he will show some extraordinary states (istidraj), that he will be killed by Hazrat Eesa (Jesus), who will descend to the earth, which is also one of the greater signs of the Doomsday. (Bukhari, Fitan, 26; Muslim, Fitan, 37, 39, 40, 91, 101, 110, 112)
2. The emergence of Dukhan (smoke): Dukhan, which means smoke, is one of the greater signs of the Doomsday. (Muslim, Fitan, 39) Before the strike of the Doomsday, a cloud of smoke will cover the world, remaining for forty days; believers will be as if they have caught a cold and unbelievers will be as if they have got drunk.
3. The emergence of the Daabbat al-ard: It is a beast that is reported to emerge before the Doomsday. The meaning of it is a beast of the earth. The following is stated in the Quran " And when the Word is fulfilled against them (the unjust), We shall produce from the earth a beast to (face) them: he will speak to them, for that mankind did not believe with assurance in our Signs." (an-Naml, 27/82) Hazrat Prophet stated the following about Daabbat al-ard "the first signs of the Doomsday are the rising of the sun in the west and the emergence of a beast and its observation by people before noon. One of those signs takes place before the other. Then, the other follows it. “(Muslim, Fitan, 118)
4) The rising of the sun in the west: The sun will rise in the west; all of the people will believe but the belief of those who have not believed before will not be of any use. (Tajrid Sarih Trns, XII 307; Muslim, Fitan, 118).
5. The descent of Hazrat Eesa (Jesus) (pbuh) to the earth: According to Ahl as-Sunnah creed, Hazrat Eesa will descend to the earth before the Doomsday, call Christians to Islam, kill Dajjal and rule the world in accordance with the Shariah of Hazrat Muhammad (pbuh). (Bukhari, Buyu, 102; Muslim, Eeman, 242-247).
6. The emergence of Yajuj (Gog) and Majuj (Magog): They are two groups of people whose origins are not certain and that “will do great mischief on earth.” (al-Kahf, 18/94) (Muhammed Hamdi Yazır, Hak Dini Kur'an Dili, IV, 3288) They will spread to the earth as a result of the collapse of the barrier built by Dhul Qarnayn (al-Anbiya, 21/96), they will attack people, demolish the towns by burning and pulling them down. In some narrations it is stated that the barrier is the Great Wall of China. (Muhammed Hamdi Yazır, ibid, IV, 3291, 3374; Bukhari, Anbiya, 7; Muslim, Fitan, 1,2).
7.8.9. Big landslides in three regions: one in the east, one in the west and one in the Arabian peninsula are among the greater signs of the Doomsday (Muslim, Fitan, 39).
10. The emergence of a big fire in Yemen and driving people away and chasing them (Muslim, Fitan, 39).
According to some hadiths in Abu Dawud and Tirmidhi (Sunan), the emergence of Mahdi is also one of the greater signs of the Doomsday. (Sunan Tirmidhi, IV, p.1-93: Sunan Abu Dawud, published by M.Abdul Hamid IV, 100, 106).
Hazrat Prophet (pbuh) informed us that the Doomsday would strike on bad people and unbelievers. According to those hadiths, the spirits of the believers will be removed before the Doomsday strikes and they will be sent to the hereafter. (Bukhari, Fitan, 5; Muslim, Imarah, 53).
- Why is Doomsday Kept Secret?
- Who will be affected by Doomsday? Is it true that the spirits of believers will be removed before Doomsday strikes?
- Why the Doomsday is kept secret?
- When will Doomsday strike? Is the information that it will strike in the evening true? When it is the evening in a European country, it is the morning in America. How will Doomsday take place then?
- What is Qiyama (Doomsday)?