limit of respecting father
It is very difficult for a son to be in such a situation. However, no matter how great sins a father commits, a son has to respect his father even if he is a non-Muslim.
Asma Bint Abi Bakr (may Allah be pleased with her) narrates: "I asked the Prophet (pbuh) about how to treat my mother, who was a polytheist then: "My mother came to my house and wants to talk to me; shall I treat her well?" He said, "Yes, show respect to her. (Bukhari, Hiba 28, Adab 8, Muslim, Zakah 50 (1003); Abu Dawud, Zakah, 34 (1668).
The importance of showing respect to parents and to give them alimony even if they are unbelievers can be understood from the fact that a verse was sent down after the conversation mentioned above and the issue was made certain in the Quran: " Allah forbids you not, with regard to those who fight you not for (your) Faith nor drive you out of your homes, from dealing kindly and justly with them: for Allah loveth those who are just." (al-Mumtahina, 8)
The following verse is clearer regarding showing respect to parents even if they are polytheists: " But if they strive to make the join in worship with Me things of which thou hast no knowledge obey them not; Yet bear them company in this life with justice (and consideration) and follow the way of those who turn to Me (in love)…" (Luqman, 15).
- Can parents prevent their children from going abroad?
- Do the earnings of the children who stay with their father belong to their father?
- Is it permissible to drink alcoholic drinks such as (araq and beer) excluding the wine, to the limit that will not get a person drunk?
- Are children supposed to be looked after by their father or by their mother after their parents have divorced? If mother is supposed to look after them, does father have to pay compensation money for children until they reach puberty?
- What instances of wisdom are there for the parents of the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) to die early on? Why did God Almighty not let his venerable mother and father see his prophethood and why they were not able to be Muslim?